Wednesday, April 9, 2014

First Day

Since my topic was male eating disorders, I decided my physical project should either have to do with the medical field or something to do with malnutrition. I wanted to do something that actually impacted my life in a good way, so I chose to volunteer at a homeless shelter. They help those who struggle with the worst type of malnutrition. I contacted a few places, but I decided to volunteer with a church in the city where I will be baking and serving. Sunday was my orientation and my first day. They went over the basics of what I was going to be doing and in all honesty it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I met a few nice people who always volunteer, like a woman named Karla and Miranda. They were the two that showed me how things work most. They talked to me about why it is so important to have volunteers come by because they need the help in order to help those in need. I was nervous at first, but they made me feel welcomed after they told me it was really nice to have someone so young volunteer for them. Anyway, we made our way to the kitchen and pulled out all the ingredients, well I didn't, they did. Since I'm not that comfortable yet, I was a bit stand offish. We began to make brownies, cupcakes, and cookies in preparation for the next day, so I really enjoyed it. Overall I think I was nervous for absolutely no reason. Even though I didn't serve any people today I think they were really generous people and I'm looking forward to going again soon.

4/6/2014
Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment